First Steps
John Stanley Beard
Historical Analysis Tools

John Stanley Beard was the founder and for many years senior partner in the firm of Beard, Bennett, Wilkins and Partners, of Baker Street, London. He specialised in the design of theatres, music halls and cinemas and designed the Gerrards Cross Picture Playhouse in 1925.

He lived at The Barn House, Oak End Way, and later at Bearwood, SouthPark, both of which have been demolished. Perhaps his best work in Gerrards Cross was the design of Mill End, 21 Mill Lane, for Capt. W. Carey, in 1915.

J. Stanley Beard also designed the shops on Packhorse Road originally known as 'The Highway', including W.H. Smith and Boots the Chemists. He retired to Dorset in 1950 where he restored the gardens at Compton Acres, Poole. He died there in 1970.

Website created by foto-fix-plus © 2006